If part of Library 2.0 is "meeting library customers in their space, as opposed to ours," I'm trying to embrace that idea today while monitoring an online reference service. So far during my two-hour shift, I've had one customer. She asked the question, I chatted about how to search the catalog, then she left the conversation! I think it's important to provide chat reference as an option for people, but I don't think it can ever be as helpful or as satisfying as actually speaking in person or on the telephone with a customer. I feel quite isolated right now because the customer just "hung-up." I don't know if she found what she was looking for, or if she got tired of waiting a few seconds for my response. In the case of online reference, I think it's important for libraries to remember that we have many more things to offer that Library 2.0 does not have. If I was talking directly with this customer, I could've used my reference interviewing skills, showed her how to use the catalog, and made sure she found what she was looking for. For all I know she hung up thinking that the library isn't helpful at all! I know I can't do anything about customers who just abruptly leave a chat session, but it does make me feel defeated. Did this really make me a better librarian because I know how to use the chat line?
I think the suggested reading for Thing #2 was interesting especially Blyberg's blog. I'm glad he linked to other professional opinions that don't necessarily agree with his own. I certainly spent more than 15 minutes linking to all the other blogs in his blog to read different view points. I'm glad I had some time away from the "real" information desk to work on this lesson. I'm having trouble agreeing when he says L2 is bringing a revolutionary change to libraries. I think my experience today working with online customers is proof that technology isn't always better just because it's available and our library knows how to work it. I remain skeptical of some aspects of Library 2.0, but some things I like very much, such as allowing our customers to make comments in the library catalog and to create book lists to share with other readers. That part of being connected is fun!
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Librarian biker chicks rule!
I think you illustrate the point that Library 2.0 services can supplement traditional library services but can't replace them.
Yes, I like the avatar, too. This friendly biker chick could probably recommend some good adventure books!
I totally agree that the IM experience is disconcerting; the customers appear to have very different expectations of what we can provide, how quickly we can do it, and appropriate interactions. I can't imagine that these same people would just walk out the door if we didn't have a book in their hand in under a minute, or would leave without acknowledging our help in some way.
As I commented on Amethyst's page, I don't think 2.0 will 'revolutionize' libraries; it will complement and expand what we offer. Consider our recent discussion on whether to continue carrying the paper copy of Statesman's Yearbook; the virtual world is not an improvement in every way on the physical world!
Post a Comment