Monday, March 3, 2008

Thing #5--Burnin' Daylight with APIs

I say "mashups-shmashups" to this exercise. Most of it felt way over my head and level of interest in spending time with application programming interfaces (APIs). It's good to become familiar with the terminology, but I don't plan on using any of these tools in the near future. I know the library I work at does use "mashups" for some catalog searches, but it's the IT/Web Services staff that has to know how to make those work--not me.

I was diligently following the instructions for this exercise, but stumbled about and lost enthusiasm when I didn't see any instructions or codes to post photos from Flickr Color Pickr or Spell with Flickr. All the pretty photos and splashy things were fun to look at, and I know you could really jazz up a website or a game, but I'm just not there yet. The creator of Flickr Color Pickr wants you to buy his book for the codes. I didn't see any easy-to-follow instructions for using these applications. And I just couldn't justify spending anymore time on this lesson. Thing #6 sounds like it might be more appropriate for my skill and interest level.

1 comment:

Captain Crone said...

I think one nice thing about the variety of Things in this project is that we can all find a couple tools that are useful even if some of the Things don't appeal. I hope the next Thing is more fun for you.